Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Shanghai observations 1 - 3

I heard today that the urban density of buildings here in Shanghai will equal that of all USA cities in ten years.

#1 There is an incredible amount of building going on here. I cannot find words to explain it. Cranes fill the skyline. Trees are being planted everywhere (Shanghai’s goal is to be something like 35% plants). I can’t help but think that our money is being siphoned into Bush’s wars while China is growing so fast. There is a strong jubilant feeling amongst the people here.

This is my Photoshop work. It is not meant as an insult Chinese censors.

#2 Consumerism is stronger here than anywhere I have ever seen. I saw a red communist Chinese flag with the five yellow stars hanging in front of a Lacoste (Izod) store. The store was on a Fifth Avenue type street with thousands of well dressed Chinese carrying high-end shopping bags.

The local brew

#3 600 ml TsingTao Lager (21 oz., decent beer, like Bud, 4.0 % vol) costs US$0.58 in a convenient store. A 12 oz bottle of beer in a bar costs US$4.55. That is a big difference. That’s about fifteen times the cost considering its almost half the size! (who says I don't understand economics?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home